Saturday, July 26, 2014

Grilled Pizzas - Yummy

Last weekend when I was making our menu for the week Andrew suggested doing homemade pizzas on the grill. I love pizza so I was pretty excited about it. I put it on for our Friday meal because I wasn't sure how long it was going to take to prep everything plus I don't know how to start the charcoal grill. So yesterday was Friday and our pizza grilling night turned out awesome!

Andrew found this post on the kitchn (no I didn't leave out the 'e' that's how they spell it) about grilled pizzas and it was perfect for our plan. If you haven't see this blog check it out, its awesome! We actually use it for cooking instructions quite often. 

I used the quick version of the pizza dough from the kitchn. Here is the recipe. 
Makes 8 small pizzas
  1 2/3 cups water
  1 or 2 teaspoons active dry or instant yeast
  1/4 cup olive oil
  5 cups all-purpose flour
  2 teaspoons salt
  If you want to use the pizza dough that same day, use 2 teaspoons yeast. If you are     going to let the dough rise overnight, use 1 teaspoon yeast.
  Mix the water and yeast together in the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl.   Let stand for a few minutes until the yeast is dissolved. Stir the oil into the yeast           mixture, then add the flour and salt. Mix with a spatula until a shaggy, floury dough is   formed.
  Knead the dough on low speed with a dough hook for 5 to 7 minutes, or knead by         hand on the counter for 6 to 8 minutes. When kneaded, the dough should form a           smooth ball, feel smooth to the touch, and spring slowly back when poked.
  Use a pastry scraper or knife to cut the dough into 8 lumps. Grease a baking pan           lightly with olive oil or baking spray. Place the dough lumps in the pan and turn them     over so they are coated with oil. Cover the pan with plastic wrap or a damp kitchen       towel.
I used 2 teaspoons of yeast and let the dough rise for about 2 hours. It was ready in an hour but we weren't! The dough was fast to put together and I was able to do it only an hour before people showed up which I loved. Follow the link above for cooking instructions, I had no part in that since we were using the hasty bake.

My second batch of dough,
it was prettier than the first but they tasted the same!
For our toppings we had: spinach, arugula, goat cheese, fresh mozzarella balls sliced, sliced Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, turkey pepperoni, pepperoni, mushrooms, orange bell pepper, prosciutto, nearly caramelized onions, roasted garlic, EVOO, balsamic reduction, red pizza sauce,  fresh basil, green olives, shredded mozzarella and a shredded cheese mixture. We had so many different options that each persons pizza came out as unique as they are! For the kids we just did a basic pepperoni pizza. They were so excited to help make their own pizzas once they figured out it was time. We had already taken their pizzas to the grill in the picture but aren't they cute!

They didn't want their picture taken.

The dough cooked on the grill so much faster than I expected it to. When the dough was ready to be made into pizzas I wasn't even ready to start making them. It almost overwhelmed and stressed me for a second because I like for every second of everything to flow smoothly. (Really only things that we put on at our house.) I didn't let it get to me though! I just started telling people to make their pizzas and found a place to stack the dough that was ready. It was so much fun and even worked out fine in our tiny kitchen! We ended up making 9 pizzas which were all eaten. I seriously think the dough made the pizza but our topping choices weren't bad either!

I kept forgetting to take pictures because we were busy enjoying ourselves but we did get a few! 

My little pizza on the grill all alone!
I waited until everyone else had made a pizza.
There were at least two pizzas on at all times until the end.
My finished product with some balsamic reduction on the side!
Becky's pizza, by far the prettiest one made!

We had a fun night hanging out with friends and eating good food. We had an friend from high school here and our friends we hang out with all the time. I love being able to let our boys play together and watch them. They play together really well and fight like siblings too! I love it!

If you were thinking of making homemade pizzas try out this dough, you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment