Monday, January 19, 2015

You Must Try This Recipe

Over the last couple of weeks we have been adding more meat into our diet. Why? I don't really know except that Andrew and Blake are tired of eating some form of bean soup every night. Blah Blah whatever so I have been buying some meat and cooking it to keep things interesting. I found some really awesome recipes on this site. I mean when I cook something and Andrew says "Lady you have really outdone yourself with this one!" How can I not share it with everyone! By the way I answered his compliment with, I just followed a recipe. I feel like I can't take too much credit for it because all I did was exactly what the recipe said, well kind of. Anyway here is how I made this delicious Ginger Beef, Mushroom & Kale Sir-Fry. Just to be clear I don't eat mushrooms, I don't like them. I have been able to enjoy them in some (very few like this only being the second one) meals since we nixed meat last year and this one I could eat them in!

Ginger Beef, Mushroom, & Kale Stir-Fry

Ingredients:

Marinade ingredients:
2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons water
1/2 cup vegetable broth
3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 teaspoons ground ginger
black pepper

Stir-Fry Ingredients:
1/2 pound thinly sliced flank steak (I would even do 1/4 pound which would need less marinade)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms sliced
8 ounces of shiitake mushrooms sliced
6 cups of chopped kale
2 green onions thinly sliced
a handful of toasted sesame seeds

Directions:
Marinade:
Add all marinade ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine. pour marinade into a large bowl or ziplock bag, then add the steak and gently toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (I did 30 because I prepared it ahead of time)

Stir-Fry:
After steak has marinated, heat 1 TBSP of oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Remove steak from marinade, reserving the marinade. Saute with garlic for about 2-3 minutes until browned. Remove steak and set aside.
Add mushrooms, kale and reserved marinade to saute pan, and stir to combine. Cover with a lid for about 1 minute and cook until kale is wilted, sauce has thickened, and mushrooms have cooked, make sure to stir so the sauce doesn't burn. Add the steak and toss.

Serve immediately over rice or quinoa. Topped with green onion slices and toasted sesame seeds. (I wanted quinoa but Andrew prefers rice.)

Okay so now that I have shared my way of making it with you go over to Gimme Some Oven for the original recipe. She is the real creator of this amazing dish and many others that will be making their way into our kitchen. She doesn't use a lid when sautéing the vegetables but I like to because it adds a little steam to the mix when I am using more vegetables than the recipe calls for! I also didn't use as much soy sauce because I'm really sensitive to salt so even 1/3 cup of low sodium soy sauce or tamarin was too much for my liking.

When you make this let me know how you like it! We loved it and I will be making it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment