Friday, September 5, 2014

A New Favorite Recipe

Last night for dinner I made Crispy Quinoa Cakes. I was worried that Andrew wouldn't like them and that Blake would never even consider eating them. I had to make them though because they looked so good! Well I made them and they turned out great! Blake ate them up just like he does everything else! One day people will question his food choices because he eats just like we do. I hope that he stands his ground and maintains his healthy food choices! 

These quinoa cakes are crispy on the outside and almost cheesy on the inside. Plus they are a complete delicious protein source! I enjoyed mine with sliced avocado and a mixed green salad. For all my meat loving friends I promise you would love this! It's actually one of my favorite things about most recipes that I find on Oh She Glows, my friends who swear they can't live without meat love them!

Crispy Quinoa Cake, Avocado Slices, Mixed Greens & Balsamic Vinaigrette 
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax plus 6 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup finely chopped kale
  • 1/2 cup finely grated sweet potato 
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup sun flower seeds
  • 1/4 cup finely diced onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon runny tahini paste
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
  • 3 pinches of fine grain sea salt
  • 3 tablespoons regular all-purose flour
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Mix the ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes or so to thicken.
  3. Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl, including the flax mixture and the 1.5 cups cooked quinoa. Stir well until the mixture comes together. Don't forget the flour because it helps bind the patties.
  4. Shape mixture into patties with wet hands. Pack tightly so they hold together better. Place on baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully flip cakes, and bake for another 15 minutes until golden and firm.
  6. Enjoy


I didn't measure out my patties. I just grabbed a handful and squished them together which is why my cooking time was longer than the one in the original recipe. I also left out a few things because I forgot or I was out of them or  I was distracted by my crazy 3 year old. Yeap pretty much all three of those things factor into every meal I make! I'm pretty sure the only thing I should have used but didn't was the fresh basil. I also had enough quinoa left to make another batch so I just chopped up extras as I was making the first batch. I added the basil into the second batch and froze them. I love having extras in the freezer for fast meals or snacks later!

The original recipe can be found here. If you haven't already figured it out Angela with Oh She Glows is the source of a majority of the things we eat around this house! All the credit goes to her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment