Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day

In June every year, we honor fathers. The first Mother's Day was celebrated in 1914, but a holiday honoring fathers did not become official until 1966, when President Lyndon Johnson declared that the third Sunday in June would be Father's Day. President Richard Nixon made this proclamation permanent in 1972. But this doesn't mean that the holiday was not celebrated before this time. The idea for Father's Day is attributed to Sonora Dodd, who was raised by her father after her mother's death during childbirth. While listening to a sermon at church on Mother's Day, she thought about all her father had done for her and her siblings and decided fathers should have a day, too. Because Dodd's father was born in June, she encouraged churches in her area, Spokane, Wash., to honor fathers that month. The first Father's Day was celebrated in Spokane in 1910. I found this history about Father's Day here

Every year at this time we use social media to state that our fathers are the best out there and that we love them. Many of us also use this day to celebrate our husbands who are wonder fathers to our children. I mean they (dads) deserve a shout out because they have huge impacts on our lives and our children's lives! 

So here's my story about my dad! He and my mom married in 1991. He became my legal guardian, along with my mom, in 1995 or 1996 I can't remember exactly. What I know is that when my biological father decided to give up his parental rights my dad stepped in; my brother and I's lives changed for the better! He had already been doing all the roles of a dad for years before that. Life in general became easier and better when he adopted us. There were no more weekends that we had to go to our biological fathers house and no more crazy holidays. We were a family of 4 with no need for taking that step parent business into consideration. I actually never even referred to him as my step-dad, he was always Dad. I can only recall 2 maybe 3 years before I was 18 that he was not my baseball or softball coach. From the time I was 13 we would go multiple times a week to softball practice and just about every weekend to tournaments. The last softball team I played on (outside of highschool) it was almost weird that he wasn't my coach! He was still at every practice and every game! He is a great man and I'm so glad my mom found him. I know everyone thinks their dad is the best but I think mine tops them all!

I also love celebrating my husband being a father. I remember how scared we both were to become parents. (Funny how we get better at it with time.) He has been a wonderful father from the minute they handed him Blake! One of my favorite things to do is just to watch the two of the interact! It seriously is better than anything around. B thinks the world of him and so do I. I know that B thinks he's the best daddy around and always will! 

All of these pictures are from father's day or from celebrating it this year.
My boys

My boys 

Myself, Dad & my brother

My niece Chloe and I

No comments:

Post a Comment